According to NFU Mutual who provide cover to over 70% of Farmers, reported Farmers are having to resort to extreme measures to protect their vehicles and livestock.
Crime in rural areas is at its highest point since 2013, and farmers are worried being ‘staked out’ and longer police response times.
David Airey, a farmer in Sutton-in-Craven in North Yorkshire, said crime rates were the worst he had seen in 52 years of farming.
He has lost almost £20,000 in three quad bikes, trailers, metal, a tonne of sugar beet, drills, chainsaws, milk kits and nearly 100 ewes in repeated thefts.
“It’s relentless,” he said. “It’s scary, you wake up every morning, expecting to go outside and find something disappeared.”
Top ten targeted items
- Garden Equipment
- Trailers and Horseboxes
Nationwide Crime Increase
NFU Mutual Crime Report shows the following regional increase in crime between 2015/2016:
- North East increase 8.7%
- South West increase 5.6%
- East of England increase 3.7%
Improving Rural Security
Some Farmers have turned to “medieval” and modern tech to secure their land, by digging trenches and earth banks, raising fences to implementing CCTV and alarms.
Orbis’ rapid deployment CCTV Towers, security fencing and alarms help Farmers sleep easier, knowing that our round the clock monitoring service is keeping a watchful eye over valuable items.
By creating “safe zones” Orbis’ CCTV Towers can protect valuable items within a 1km peripheral range.
CCTV Tower Features and Benefits include:
- HD Predator Camera with night vision technology
- Imposing 8-meter tall visual deterrent
- Connect the tower to a max of 64 wireless infrared sensors for seamless perimeter coverage
- Up to 30-day, time and date stamped HD footage retrieval
- Live camera access online
- Audio warnings and sirens
- Connected to our highly accredited monitoring station
- Solar powered options for sites with no power
Live Feed Quality
Find out more about our security solutions